Interoperability in healthcare – Importance & Benefits
We are in an era where everyone is talking about improving entire Healthcare eco system focusing on more productivity and less operational cost. Interoperability in healthcare is increasingly surfacing as both a priority and a challenge for the industry but recent advancements in cloud based technology is opening fresh opportunities to enable change.
Let us first understand how in healthcare data gets exchanged between multiple applications be it with in one department, one hospital or between multiple hospitals.
Interoperability: It is basically the ability of a computer system to run different vendors application programs, and interact with other computers globally irrespective to the technology the application is built on, their hardware, etc.
Importance of Interoperability in Healthcare Industry
- Allow to send structured results to EHRs
- Having interoperability in place, can save billions of USDs per year
- Improve quality care of patients
Benefits of Interoperability in Healthcare Industry
- With health interoperability in place, providers can receive patient health information (PHI) in real time
- Doctors/Hospitals will be able to make better and quicker decisions regarding a patient’s health
- Allows patients to access their medical records anywhere
- Better patient treatment as interoperability enables providers can access real-time information and can provide on right treatment at the right time
- Will result in lesser operational cost – can save billions
Share your thoughts with us on firstname.lastname@example.org